CODE ENFORCEMENT/ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER
Under general supervision, performs a variety of technical duties in support of the City's local code enforcement program; monitors and enforces a variety of applicable ordinances, codes and regulations related to land use, nuisance housing, building codes, health and safety, blight, graffiti, water waste, animals at large, cruelty to animals, animal control issues and other matters of public concern; and serves as a resource and provides information on City regulations to property owners, residents, business, the general public and other City Departments and divisions.
*The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional of different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
1. Perform a variety of field and office work in support of the City's local code enforcement and animal control programs; enforce compliance with City regulations and ordinances including those pertaining to land use, nuisance housing building codes, health and safety, blight, graffiti, water waste, animal control and other matters of public concern.
2. Receive and respond to citizen's complaints and reports from other agencies and departments on alleged violations of City related municipal codes and ordinances; interview complainant and witnesses; conduct investigations and provide recommendations for resolution.
3. Conduct field investigations; inspect properties for violations; attempt to make contact at the residence or business in order to resolve violation; issue and post warning notices, notices of violation, corrective notices, orders to comply and related documentation for code violations; schedule and perform all follow up functions to gain compliance including letters, inspections, calls, meetings, discussions and negotiations to ensure compliance with appropriate codes and ordinances; issue administrative summons and notices of violations as necessary.
4. Prepare evidence in support of legal actions taken by the City; appear in court as necessary; testify at hearings and in court proceedings as required.
5. Maintain accurate documentation and case files on all investigations, inspections, enforcement actions, animals detained, animals disposed of and other job related activities including accurate and detailed information regarding code enforcement and animal control activity to substantiate violations; draw diagrams and illustrations and take photographs.
6. Prepare a variety of written reports, memos and correspondence related to enforcement activities.
7. Patrol the City in a City vehicle to identify and evaluate problem areas, ordinance violation and /or animal control violations; determine proper method to resolve violations.
8. Attend meetings and serve as a resource to other departments, division, the general public and outside agencies in the enforcement of regulations; provide research and documentation for meetings; interpret and explain municipal codes and ordinances to the members of the general public, contractors, business owners and other interested groups in the field, over the computer and on the telephone.
9. Operate computer to enter, process and acquire data relative to complaints, inspection sites and effective code and animal enforcement; research complaints.
10. Participate in supervising the work of community service workers or volunteers engaged in community clean-u[ and preservation activities; determine locations and type of work to be performed.
11. Locat4e vacant residences and businesses; secure buildings with proper materials a necessary; post the property as necessary; check vacant buildings regularly for transient activity, graffiti and other forms of vandalism.
12. May assist in researching, drafting and rewriting municipal codes; participate in the development of forms and processes utilized to address various issues.
13. Maintaining complete records of animals obtained, adopted, disposed of or euthanized.
14. Release, adopt, euthanize and/or dispose of any and all animals in a proper fashion as described by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services or its designee.
15. Maintain animal shelter in good and proper operating condition at all times.
16. Perform related duties as required and assigned to you.
Qualifications or Knowledge of
Safe operations and maintenance of a motor vehicle;
Operations, services and activities of a municipal code compliance program; Pertinent codes, ordinances, laws and regulations;
Procedures involved in the enforcement of codes and regulations;
City services and organizational structure as related to code and animal enforcement;
Legal actions applicable to code and animal enforcement;
Effective public relations practices;
Principles and procedures of record keeping;
Methods and techniques of business correspondence;
Modern office procedures, methods and equipment;
Occupational hazards and standard safety practices;
Behaviors and diseases of animals;
Proper restraint and capture of animals;
Safe use and application of tranquilizing drugs;
Geographic features and locations within the areas served.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AS LISTED ON JOB PACKET AVAILABLE AT THE CITY HALL